Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Torrey

PBI Desktop Report server vs Services

Hi.  I work in a very large organization that has both PBI Report Server and PBI Services.  I need to publish to both environments and even migrate reports from Report Server (on prem) to Services (cloud). 

We have two versions approved for install:

• Microsoft Power BI Desktop Report Server (64-bit) May 2022 2.105.1143.0 (Not Cloud)
  • Microsoft Power BI Desktop Cloud (64-bit) May 2022 2.105.664.0

can anyone explain what the benefits / limitations are of these two versions?  do they conflict with one another if I attempt to install both?  does the cloud version still enable publishing to report server.. and vice versa?

Thanks  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Torrey ,

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

If you want to know the difference between two versions, you can refer to this link:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

There will be a description of each version, you can choose the most suitable for you.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Torrey

Thank you for the response.  please let me clarify my question... 

I am asking what the differences are between two versions of Power BI Desktop:

• Microsoft Power BI Desktop May 2022 2.105.1143.0 
  • Microsoft Power BI Desktop May 2022 2.105.664.

I am well aware of the differences between Report Server and Services.   I need to know which is the best Desktop version for me to use as I develop for both platforms. 

I appreciate your help very much.  

Hi @Torrey ,

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

If you want to know the difference between two versions, you can refer to this link:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

There will be a description of each version, you can choose the most suitable for you.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Torrey ,

For the advantages and disadvantages of each of these two applications, you can check the following docs for the features and differences:

Comparing Power BI Report Server and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Difference Between Power BI Report Server and Power BI Service | How to Choose? - Veelead Solutions

And , there is no conflict between the use of these two. At the same time, you can publish report to report server but you also need a Power BI Pro license.

Refer to this doc for more information:

What is Power BI Report Server? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.