Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lw24
Helper I
Helper I

Oracle ORA-25700 Transport Layer Secutiry (TLS) connection error

Hello, I've posted here about an issues I'm experiencing with Oracle connecting to Power BI... I'm looking for some guidance on the following and how to resolve this issue 

Oracle: ORA-25700: Current configuration does not use Transport Layer Security (TLS). Token based authentication requires TLS with server authentication.

I'm running Oracle Instant Client 21c and Power BI verion is 2.126. 

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

try with Oracle client 19

We have tried with Oracle 19. I was getting different error back then.... 

lw24_0-1714513309702.png

Hi @lw24 ,

I want to acknowledge valuable input provided by @lbendlin . However, I noticed that more details are needed to fully understand this issue.

1. If you are using the market version of Power Bi Desktop and receive this error, try the following:

In the oracle client home directory you should be able to find oraons.dll. Copy this file to the \bin folder in the same directory.
Close any open Power BI Desktop and reopen it.
You should be able to connect now.

For example, the directory of files is:
c:\app\client\OraHome
copy it to
c:\app\client\OraHome\bin

2. Here are some solutions related to your problem, I hope they can be helpful to you.

Solved: Re: PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error Obj... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Oracle: Object reference not set to an instance of... - Microsoft Fabric Community

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-kaiyue-msft - really appreciate the reply and resources! 

Looks like the suggestions are for error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"?? The file you mentioned above, oraons.dll, is already in the /bin folder. 

Because I downloaded 21c, I was able to bypass that issue (possibly) and now see this one "Current configuration does not use Transport Layer Security (TLS). Token based authentication requires TLS with server authentication." 

Possibly an issue with 21c this is my folder structure.... might need to uninstall one of the versions?

C:\Oracle\Product

lw24_0-1714687034506.png

C:\Oracle\Product\21.12.0\instantclient_64

lw24_1-1714687072585.png

C:\Oracle\Product\21.12.0\instantclient_64\network

lw24_3-1714687164808.png

C:\Oracle\Product\21.12.0\instantclient_64\network\admin

lw24_4-1714687208390.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.