Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdhn
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

One Column data separated in import , how to merge again

Hello All,

My source  excel spread sheet has a column for Account as below:

This is one column.

ACCOUNTS
A1001091000
A1010091000
A1020001801
A1070091000
A1095091000

After GET DATA onto dashoard it is displaying as:

Data distriubuted into three columns.

ACCOUNTSColumn 3Column 4
A1001091000
A1010091000
A1020001801
A1070091000
A1095091000

How to make column as source or merge onto one column ACCOUNTS ?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sdhn add a new column in PQ, and then remove other 3 columns, and make sure column 3 and column 4 data type is text before you add new column

New Account = 
[Account] & [Column 3] & [Column 4]

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sdhn 

In fact, parry2k  has already given the solution above and it will work. Let me add details to the above solution. Please see the screenshot below. In PowerQuery, hold down the Ctrl key to select the three columns above, and click Merge Columns in the right-click menu, then you can  select the separator and name the new column.

vangzhengmsft_0-1625109109752.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sdhn 

In fact, parry2k  has already given the solution above and it will work. Let me add details to the above solution. Please see the screenshot below. In PowerQuery, hold down the Ctrl key to select the three columns above, and click Merge Columns in the right-click menu, then you can  select the separator and name the new column.

vangzhengmsft_0-1625109109752.png

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sdhn add a new column in PQ, and then remove other 3 columns, and make sure column 3 and column 4 data type is text before you add new column

New Account = 
[Account] & [Column 3] & [Column 4]

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sdhn understood, but I think you didn't get my last reply what I'm trying to say? Did you get it?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sdhn well if combining these 3 makes a unique account number then better to merge it, as you will be creating a relationship with other tables which will have a combined account number. In my opinion, it should e merge. Once you loaded it in PQ, you can merge it in PQ but if you can merge at source, like in SQL server, then do it there, it depends on the data source. If your data source is Excel, and you always receive raw data in 3 columns, instead of changing excel file, better to do in PQ so that you don't have to make changes to the excel file manually and this merging is taken care by PQ.

sdhn
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I am using Power BI Desktop to develope a dashboard. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sdhn do you have data in 3 different columns in Excel?

sdhn
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

yes, I have data in 3 different columns but under one heading.  Thanks 

sdhn
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes , I noticed.

They are 3 different columns in Spread Sheet Under Heading called "ACCOUNTS".

what is good? To keep saparte or merge as it is SS.  If , merge how?

I will have multiple months of data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.