Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

huseyincenik
Frequent Visitor

Numeric Range Parameters is not working - 2024

huseyincenik_0-1710684091734.png

I created a numeric range parameter. I used the parameter in TOPN, but the parameter does not appear in TOPN. When I add the parameter value as a column to a chart, I see the value I selected. but in Dax code it returns 0 from the parameter. Normally it's at 6 now, but it doesn't reach 6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks for your concern about this issue, @Jihwan_Kim .

And @huseyincenik , I would like to add a few points that may be helpful. Your formula is returned to the calculated table, which is a static result. It does not dynamically return results based on the dynamic filtering of slicers or filters.

In Power BI, there are three fields that can be created: Measure, Calculated Column, and Calculated Table.

Measures are dynamic, while calculated columns and calculated tables are static.

About more differences or details among them, you could refer to

Measure vs Calculated Column: The Mysterious Question? Not! - RADACAD

In summary, numeric range parameter is not available in calculated column or calculated table which is set by default.

In fact, in the official document provided by Jihwan, this sentence also confirms this.

vstephenmsft_1-1711957658400.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Thanks for your concern about this issue, @Jihwan_Kim .

And @huseyincenik , I would like to add a few points that may be helpful. Your formula is returned to the calculated table, which is a static result. It does not dynamically return results based on the dynamic filtering of slicers or filters.

In Power BI, there are three fields that can be created: Measure, Calculated Column, and Calculated Table.

Measures are dynamic, while calculated columns and calculated tables are static.

About more differences or details among them, you could refer to

Measure vs Calculated Column: The Mysterious Question? Not! - RADACAD

In summary, numeric range parameter is not available in calculated column or calculated table which is set by default.

In fact, in the official document provided by Jihwan, this sentence also confirms this.

vstephenmsft_1-1711957658400.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-stephen-msft .Would you consider this as user feedback and update PowerBI on this issue? It's really interesting that this doesn't happen. Why do we do TOPN filtering only in a limited way via filter? This also works in other BI Tools like Tableau!

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but if you want to use the numeric parameter inside the dax formula that results a table, please check the limitation in the link below.

I hope this helps.

Use parameters to visualize variables - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Jihwan_Kim_0-1710688529468.png

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thank you for your answer. My parameter is created between 1 and 20 and aims to display TOPN. It is not affected by the restrictions you specify. What surprises me is that it appears when I define the parameter as values in a chart. But when I write it in dax as above, it is taken as 0.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.