Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

stizein
Helper I
Helper I

Number is out of range of a 32 bit integer value

The error listed in the subject line is received when I attempt a data refresh within the desktop version. The online version also fails to refresh data. The following is the advanced query.

image.png

I believe the issue stems from the "Filtered Rows" custom field. I'm not sure what the Number.From.. does as the code was developed by a 3rd party. How do I identify the record(s) causing the error to refresh the data? Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @stizein,

this error is probably due to some value(s) in the column "EffectiveDate" or "ExpirationDate" not being a valid date format. If thay are they are not specifically formatted as dates already, doing so might help. If not, errors will be returned in the problematic rows and you could delete rows with errors, if that's appropriate for your use case.

The 2nd step starts building a date-range by creating a continuous list of numbers from the date. If one of the start- or end-date-conversions returns a too large number, this error-message will return. 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would expect that if a single row was causing an error that you would get an error for that row. Sounds like the entire query errors out? I would start at the top of your query and change any whole value columns to decimal columns and that might get you around this issue. Difficult to read your code pasted without line breaks.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Other than Let and Source... here is the formatted query.  

The refresh worked fine up to a week or so ago which makes me think it's a portion of the data.  If I remove either the effective date or the expirationdate section from the 2nd line, the refresh will complete.  It's the combination of and not understanding what the 2nd line is doing that is throwing the refresh (and myself) off.

image.png

Hmm, invoking @ImkeF, she is much better with the M...

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @stizein,

this error is probably due to some value(s) in the column "EffectiveDate" or "ExpirationDate" not being a valid date format. If thay are they are not specifically formatted as dates already, doing so might help. If not, errors will be returned in the problematic rows and you could delete rows with errors, if that's appropriate for your use case.

The 2nd step starts building a date-range by creating a continuous list of numbers from the date. If one of the start- or end-date-conversions returns a too large number, this error-message will return. 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thank you!  

I added a step before the number.from to cast the row as a date field instead of date/time.  This seemed to resolve the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.