Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

comish4lif2
Advocate II
Advocate II

Number Format in Matrix: Column Header

I have a numberic field that contains counter data. Data that is a count of things and the values in that field are all whole numbers (1-12).

In some of the visualizations, that data is depicted as an average of that data and of course is sliced in many ways. As such, the values I wish to see displayed is 1.26, 3.78, etc., for example on a filled map.

But, in a matrix visual, if I use that field as column headers, I would want to see only the whole number - no decimal. 

So, here's my comment and question, I cannot change the decimal/number display in the matrix column header, so, I have the Counter field set to whole number and 0 decimal places. I can manually set the decimals in most (but not all) visualztions. But, If I use the map, and drop the average of the counter as a tooltip, it shows as a whole number (3 and 3.48).

Am I correct that I cannot change the number display format everywhere - and specifically in these 2 places?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @comish4lif2

I believe you can solve this by creating explicit measure(s) with the number format set appropriately, 

1. Specify the number format for the numeric column itself, which will be applied whenever that column is used on the axis of a visual, such as a matrix column header (I believe you have already done this)
  2. Creating explicit measure for any aggregations of that column, such as 
    Average of Column = AVERAGE ( Table[Column] )​
    and specify an appropriate number format for the measure, such as 2 decimal places.

This way, you should be able to avoid having to use visual-level settings to override the number format (certainly for built-in visuals).

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @comish4lif2

I believe you can solve this by creating explicit measure(s) with the number format set appropriately, 

1. Specify the number format for the numeric column itself, which will be applied whenever that column is used on the axis of a visual, such as a matrix column header (I believe you have already done this)
  2. Creating explicit measure for any aggregations of that column, such as 
    Average of Column = AVERAGE ( Table[Column] )​
    and specify an appropriate number format for the measure, such as 2 decimal places.

This way, you should be able to avoid having to use visual-level settings to override the number format (certainly for built-in visuals).

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.