Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sumittal
Frequent Visitor

Non distinct (duplicate) values in DAX dropdown

Hi,

I am seeing duplicate values when I click on the dropdown arrow to filter values. This is only happening with some columns. 

As example - One of the columns in a table is the currency of transaction. Several rows of entry have CHF as currency value. When I click on the arrow to filter rows based on currency, I see duplicated options as follows, beating the purpose of filtering function. Please advice what am I doing incorrect.  

GBP duplicate vaues in dropdown.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you @Wimverh 

For no know reason, the drop down is working fine today - as expected. I attach new screenshot. 

new view of srop down.png

With my little knowledge of Power BI I woud have struggled to correclt implement your advice. I would definitely like to add that the table was created combining two tables in M-query and then the currency column was added in DAX using LOOKUPVALUE function, along with several other columns added at DAX stage. All columns from M-query stage worked as expected (with distinct values appearing in the dropdown) but all columns added in DAX were showing duplicate values. 

Thanks, 

Sumittal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sumittal ,

You may create a new calculated column like DAX below, and apply it in your visuals.

Distinct Currency Value= DISTINCT(Table1[Currency Value])

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-xicai 

For no known reason, but the functionality is working fine today.

Adding a new distinct coumn to the same table might not have worked as it would have resulted in multiple output error. Thats because my table has several rows with duplicated values that I need to retain. I just needed the dropdown list to show distinct values. 

Regards, 

Sumittal

Wimverh
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

I can't think of reason how to create this. 
Can you check in transformation what column type you have selected, and see if the column distribution is OK:
2020-04-29_17-33-56.jpg

Thank you @Wimverh 

For no know reason, the drop down is working fine today - as expected. I attach new screenshot. 

new view of srop down.png

With my little knowledge of Power BI I woud have struggled to correclt implement your advice. I would definitely like to add that the table was created combining two tables in M-query and then the currency column was added in DAX using LOOKUPVALUE function, along with several other columns added at DAX stage. All columns from M-query stage worked as expected (with distinct values appearing in the dropdown) but all columns added in DAX were showing duplicate values. 

Thanks, 

Sumittal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.