Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

elijah2018
Helper I
Helper I

New group -> How is the proposed bin size calculated

Hi community, 

To estimate a density function I grouped data together into bins  and plotted the bins on the X-axis and the frequency on the Y-axis. There is theory about how many bins to use to estimate the density function in a good way. 

So when ever I create a new group for this purpose, Power BI proposes a bin size. 
I want to know what this proposed number is based on ? I  was trying to google the answer without luck.

Thanks for your interest in helping me 

Regards 

Elijah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @elijah2018,

Based on my research, you could refer to this link to know the rule of the bin size:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histogram#Rice_Rule

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @elijah2018,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @elijah2018,

Based on my research, you could refer to this link to know the rule of the bin size:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histogram#Rice_Rule

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.