Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mike12345
Helper I
Helper I

New dataset with different table and field names

Hi Everyone,

I have several dashboards published using a Azure SQL DB dataset.  There is an upcoming migration where a new dataset of basically the same data will be used in production.  This dataset will have differnet table and field names.

Is there any way to convert existing dashboards / visuals over to the new dataset's new table and field names?  Or is my only choice to rebuild the dashboard?

Thanks for any information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mike12345 , If only the connection is changing that is pretty easy.

refer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59PUFuuCrbY

But as the column name changes - In the advance editor(check last option in the video), you have to also change The column name/s.

In edit query-> Right click on table -> Advance editor -> Change connection details and column name.

Other was is get the new table added to a new pbix. Now carefully replace the initial.

Rename all columns to match the name in power BI. So that dashboard can pick up

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mike12345 , If only the connection is changing that is pretty easy.

refer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59PUFuuCrbY

But as the column name changes - In the advance editor(check last option in the video), you have to also change The column name/s.

In edit query-> Right click on table -> Advance editor -> Change connection details and column name.

Other was is get the new table added to a new pbix. Now carefully replace the initial.

Rename all columns to match the name in power BI. So that dashboard can pick up

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You should be able to make new queries to your new database, and copy the first lines from the query from the Advanced Editor and replace the equivalent lines in your existing queries (so all your downstream stuff keeps working).  You may have to add rename steps and/or update references between query steps, but you should not have to rebuild.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.