Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aflora
Frequent Visitor

Need help with headcount trend reporting

Hi,

I have created a report that shows headcount over time using measures, but when I adjust my date slicer, it recalculates the headcount for only the selected time period in the slicer (per measure). Rather, I would like for the headcount NOT to recalculate and see a snapshot of what headcount looked like at a point in time that I select. For example, I'd like to filter my data for 1/1/2018 through 11/30/2020 and have the bar chart show 1190 for 2018, 1107 for 2019, and 1029 for 2020.

I have attached two images. The first shows my date slicer including the entire date range (HCpicA). The second shows a smaller date range selected in the slicer (HCpicB) and you'll see a difference in the joiners/leavers/rehires/rehire terms/total HC between the two pics. How do I create something to keep the headcount totals from recalculating?

HCpicA:

HCpicAHCpicA

HCpicB:

HCpicBHCpicB

Since modifying the date slicer recalculates my measures, do I need a second date table that enables me to see a snapshot of different timeframes? Can other measures be created/used to achieve the result? Do I need to modify my measures? Help!

https://aligntech-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/p/aflora/EWAH79bCRptDi8esxEFOjiYBJVWY2BSXLboTbhSpCzE3Iw?e=4j... 

Thanks!

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi!

Your headcount at any point in time is the sum of everyone hired, separated, rehired and re-separated.  Your headcount calculation was only looking at people with one of those things happening during the selected date range.  I added measures for running totals for each and changed the headcount calc to use those running totals.  You can download the pbix here.

I also simplified your measures for hired, separated, rehired and re-separated...they were unnecessarily complex.  You should also check them for accuracy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you share the pbix using Google Drive or DropBox?  can't download from your SharePoint...permissions error.

Hi!

Your headcount at any point in time is the sum of everyone hired, separated, rehired and re-separated.  Your headcount calculation was only looking at people with one of those things happening during the selected date range.  I added measures for running totals for each and changed the headcount calc to use those running totals.  You can download the pbix here.

I also simplified your measures for hired, separated, rehired and re-separated...they were unnecessarily complex.  You should also check them for accuracy.

Thank you so much for the quick help and simplification of my measures!

You're welcome!  Glad I could help!  🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.