Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tontaube2
Helper IV
Helper IV

Need help modelling

Hi,

I have searched the other answers, but I'm still stuck/ don't see the big picture.

I know HOW to pivot, merge, append - but don't know WHEN/IF.

I have answers to survey questions from companies as well as answers from reports published by the companies itself - each once a year.

The answers have attributes (e.g. hierarchy-level) as well as the companies (size, type, reportA: xy, reportB: xy).

The companies will be sliced by name, singular-filters (type A or B) and multiple-filters ("is family-friendly" yes or no AND maybe (checkbox) "is great" yes or no)

2022-01-14 10_37_54-Fragen_ Lucidchart.jpg

Here's a Lucidchart of this picture: https://lucid.app/lucidchart/71e6ae51-a9bf-43dc-899c-e6f79be9a1a2/view?page=0_0&invitationId=inv_2d0...

I struggle with which table to pivot - and thus create long, narrow tables, with multiple company-keys - and which to leave or make short & broad, with a single company-key.

Do I need one fact table or two?

Do I create one dim table for each of the slicers, or one for each type of slicer: single-value-slicers (On/Off, Yes/no) and one for multi-value-slicers ("Family-friendly yes/no" and maybe! (Checkbox) "Great" yes/no")?

Size is about 40 companies, 350 questions.

Could you advise me how to model it "better"/which tables to make long&narrow and which to make short&broad

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tontaube2 ,

For performance reasons it is better that you reduce BD relationships.It is recommend that you activate bi-directional filtering in a measure definition by using the CROSSFILTER DAX function instead. Maybe you can consider using the bridge table as a slicer.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tontaube2
Helper IV
Helper IV

Edit: here's a new picture: 

2022-01-14 11_04_03-Fragen_ Lucidchart.jpg

sd = single direction, bd = multi direction

I realized the Slicers would be a problem.

In which table do I have to pack the attributes for a company-slicer?

Hi,

I have searched the other answers, but I'm still stuck/ don't see the big picture.

I know HOW to pivot, merge, append - but don't know WHEN/IF.

I have answers to survey questions from companies as well as answers from reports published by the companies itself - each once a year.

The answers have attributes (e.g. hierarchy-level) as well as the companies (size, type, reportA: xy, reportB: xy).

The companies will be sliced by name, singular-filters (type A or B) and multiple-filters ("is family-friendly" yes or no AND maybe (checkbox) "is great" yes or no)

2022-01-14 10_37_54-Fragen_ Lucidchart.jpg

Here's a Lucidchart of this picture: https://lucid.app/lucidchart/71e6ae51-a9bf-43dc-899c-e6f79be9a1a2/view?page=0_0&invitationId=inv_2d0...

I struggle with which table to pivot - and thus create long, narrow tables, with multiple company-keys - and which to leave or make short & broad, with a single company-key.

Do I need one fact table or two?

Do I create one dim table for each of the slicers, or one for each type of slicer: single-value-slicers (On/Off, Yes/no) and one for multi-value-slicers ("Family-friendly yes/no" and maybe! (Checkbox) "Great" yes/no")?

Size is about 40 companies, 350 questions.

Could you advise me how to model it "better"/which tables to make long&narrow and which to make short&broad

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.