Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help: Plot values from last n year over selected year

I want to filter a line visual with a slicer. This slicer filters the year from a seperate date table. This date table is connected to the data table.

I want to plot 3 lines. The green and black are showing the actual and last year values. Those are correct.

The red should show the minimum of the last 4 years. I cant get this done. It is somehow not taking the correct dates.  

measure = CALCULATE(MIN(data[Value]);DATESINPERIOD('Calendar'[Date];LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date]);-4;YEAR))

Unbenannt.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it running with following measure:

LJ_Max =
VAR Temp1=
UNION(
ROW("test1"; MAX(data[Value]));
ROW("test2"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-1;YEAR)));
ROW("test3"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-2;YEAR)));
ROW("test4"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-3;YEAR)));
ROW("test5"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-4;YEAR)));
)
RETURN
MAXX(Temp1; [test1])

If you want to have the minimum just replace all the max and maxx functions with min or minxx

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  from what i can see it is plotting the dates, the issue is with your avg?

what are you expecting to see, i can't quite understand what the issue is, how is it not showing what you expect?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for you answer.

I want the minimum of the last 4 years plotted for each day. Right now the red line is flat and it seems, that the calculation is wrong, because the second part of the calculate function doesnt work the way I want to.

I checked it by counting the values in a table. Per day there are around 96 values, My measure should include the last 4 years so I expect 384 values. 

measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(data[Value]);DATESINPERIOD('Calendar'[Date];LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date]);-4;YEAR))

If I select 2019 on the slicer I expect to see following:
date                   measure
2019-01-01       384 (4*96)

I get a very different result. 

@Anonymous  its quite difficult to see the problem without looking at the data, are you able to share data?

also when you say you expect to see 384 (on the count), would that be plotted 384 a flat line?  it would be best to explain what you are trying to achieve, not technically but from a business perspective.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Left you can see the table and right the slicer.

Unbenannt1.png

the first two columns are exactly doing, what I expect. The last column (last4years) is showing a wrong result.

ok so just to be clear @Anonymous 

measure = CALCULATE(MIN(data[Value]);DATESINPERIOD('Calendar'[Date];LASTDATE('Calendar'[Date]);-4;YEAR))

is the column last4years?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it running with following measure:

LJ_Max =
VAR Temp1=
UNION(
ROW("test1"; MAX(data[Value]));
ROW("test2"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-1;YEAR)));
ROW("test3"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-2;YEAR)));
ROW("test4"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-3;YEAR)));
ROW("test5"; CALCULATE(MAX(data[Value]);DATEADD('Calendar'[Date];-4;YEAR)));
)
RETURN
MAXX(Temp1; [test1])

If you want to have the minimum just replace all the max and maxx functions with min or minxx

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.