Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TeaBags
Frequent Visitor

Need a new column with count of occurrences (Direct Query)

Hi all - newbie here.   I am trying to add a calculated column that shows a count of occurrences of "Member" in my dataset.  I have a single data table, direct query from SQL.   I've been researching options here and Reddit but I can't use things like COUNT, COUNTDISTINCT in a column because of direct query.   I've also tried some formulas here with EARLIER such as .. 

Occurrence = COUNTROWS(FILTER(IData[Member]=EARLIER(IData[Member]))) but get "too few arguments" error.  

I can get the data in a table viz as shown below, but I need it as a column  so I can visualize number of members called  times (Aggregated) in a bar chart or line chart.  I also need to slice on that data (i.e. select "6" to show filtered members who called 6 times).  Without the data in a column, I don't seem to be able to do either of these.  

TeaBags_0-1710422257995.png

Thanks in advance!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TeaBags ,
Based on your description, you can't use count or countdistinct in data fetched in Direct Query mode. you might want to consider creating a view on the sql side first to aggregate this data. For example, you can use

CREATE VIEW MemberCount AS
SELECT Member, COUNT(*) AS Occurrences
FROM Table
GROUP BY Member;

Then when you get to the database view in Direct Query mode, you can use this dax expression

Member Occurrences = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table, Table[Member] = "Member"))

That might accomplish your goal.

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TeaBags ,
Based on your description, you can't use count or countdistinct in data fetched in Direct Query mode. you might want to consider creating a view on the sql side first to aggregate this data. For example, you can use

CREATE VIEW MemberCount AS
SELECT Member, COUNT(*) AS Occurrences
FROM Table
GROUP BY Member;

Then when you get to the database view in Direct Query mode, you can use this dax expression

Member Occurrences = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table, Table[Member] = "Member"))

That might accomplish your goal.

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks Albert!  That did the trick for my immediate need as I have full access to the SQL instance being used.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.