Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sbm
Helper II
Helper II

Need Help to show values dynamically in column header in matrix

Hi Experts,

I have a below a report based on a direct query storage mode with year and month filter. I want to create it dynamic to show column header. if I select Jan month in filter, column header show the last 2-month for Nov and Dec including Jan to see the trends and when I select Feb, column header should show with Nov and Dec and so on 

Below is the example screenshots. I have selected manually Jan, Nov and Dec in screenshot.

dynamic report1.PNG

Expected output

dynamic report.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sbm ,

Check the topic below and see if it helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-hide-null-columns-in-matrix-table/m-p/562296#M265307.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I am assuming you have a calendar table. Try

Rolling 3 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-3,MONTH))
Rolling 3 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],max(Sales[Sales Date]),-3,MONTH))  

Hi @amitchandak , 

Yes, I have a date table. The following formula returns the sales for the 3 months prior to the selected date. but I have not a requirement of previous 3-month sales. I have a measure of total sales. for now, I am selecting manually for Jan, Nov and Dec month to show total sales but  I want to show dynamically if I select any single month from month filter, for example, Jan month then total sales should show also for  Nov and Dec month with Jan as well in matrix visual. if I select Feb month then total sales should show Feb , Nov and Dec like this.

dynamic report.PNG

That is what rolling should have done. You can also try this

Rolling 3 = 
varr _max = maxx('Date', 'Date'[Date])
var _min  = minx('Date',dateadd('Date'[Date],-3,MONTH))
return
CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(all(date), 'Date'[Date <=_max and 'Date'[Date >=_min)

If it does not solve.

Can you share sample data and sample output. If possible please share a sample pbix file after removing sensitive information.Thanks.
Proud to be a Datanaut My Recent Blog -
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Hi @amitchandak ,

There is no sensitive information in this report. I have just used AdventureWorks data sample in power bi based on Calander, Sales and Product table. I have created a week of month column and then one more based on week of month column in power query.

Here is formula- WeekofMonthName= Text.Combine({"Week of ", [ShortMonthName], " ", Text.From([Week of Month], "en-US")})

Please see the all fields I have used in the attached image. I can share the PBIX. file but I can not see the option to upload here.

I think you didn't understand my question. I do not need to calculate rolling sales. I just want to show total sales value in this report dynamically if I select the month of Jan from month filter then it should also populate with Nov and Dec total sales alongside Jan.

Currently I have selected manullly Mar, Nov, and Dec.

So my aim is that If I select a single month then It should filter last 2-month in matrix visual alongside to compare with selected month.

Hope this is understandable now.

dynamic2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.