Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Manasa1994
Frequent Visitor

Need Help: Sorting Columns in Descending Order in Power BI

Hi Power BI community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently working on a project in Power BI and I'm facing a challenge with sorting columns in descending order. Specifically, I want to convert certain columns to display in descending order on my stacked column chart.

Could anyone please guide me on how to achieve this in Power BI Desktop? I have attempted to explore the "Sort ascending" and "Sort descending" options in the Visualizations pane, but I am unsure if this is the correct approach.

Your assistance and insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Manasa1994_0-1704813695956.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Manasa1994 ,

According to your screenshot, you have this in descending order by the first letter of the characters on the x-axis:

vjunyantmsft_0-1704932438748.png

Please note that the screenshot I provided has a choice of what to sort by on this side, so please select it as your VALUE and not the x-axis text:

vjunyantmsft_1-1704932560754.png

If you don't have this option in your bar chart, please describe how you created this visual object, thank you!

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Manasa1994 ,

Is that what you want?

vjunyantmsft_0-1704875628127.png

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When I use descending order to sort, it comes out like this.

Manasa1994_0-1704901416746.png

Hi @Manasa1994 ,

According to your screenshot, you have this in descending order by the first letter of the characters on the x-axis:

vjunyantmsft_0-1704932438748.png

Please note that the screenshot I provided has a choice of what to sort by on this side, so please select it as your VALUE and not the x-axis text:

vjunyantmsft_1-1704932560754.png

If you don't have this option in your bar chart, please describe how you created this visual object, thank you!

Best Regards,
Dino Tao

marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hi @Manasa1994 

Take a look in this link: Change how a chart is sorted in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.