Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wkelly1002
Frequent Visitor

Need Help Sharing a Power BI Desktop Report

Hello,

I created a report with Power BI Desktop and sent the file over to a colleague. The problem is a the excel sheets that the report pulls from are mapped back to my desktop.

How do I send the BI file so my colleague can view the report?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @wkelly1002,

Regardless of the data source, your colleague should be able to see and interact with the report in Desktop just fine - it's only in the Query Editor where they'll have issues.

View solution in original post

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

Hello, 1. If they haven't installed powerbi desktop, you can publish the repot and share the report with them. 2. If they installed powerbi desktop, you can share them the pbix file and they can open in the powerbi desktop. 3. If they want to edit your report, you need to send both the excel file and pbix file to them. They click the dropdown button of Edit Quires, and choose data source setting to set the excel file on their local drive as the data source. Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

Hello, 1. If they haven't installed powerbi desktop, you can publish the repot and share the report with them. 2. If they installed powerbi desktop, you can share them the pbix file and they can open in the powerbi desktop. 3. If they want to edit your report, you need to send both the excel file and pbix file to them. They click the dropdown button of Edit Quires, and choose data source setting to set the excel file on their local drive as the data source. Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @wkelly1002,

Regardless of the data source, your colleague should be able to see and interact with the report in Desktop just fine - it's only in the Query Editor where they'll have issues.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.