Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimplum01
Frequent Visitor

Need Help: Forecast Revenue between start and end date excluding non-working days

For each service sale that will be delivered to customers over the contract period I want to evenly distrubute the total sale over the working days from the startdate to the end date. I have a Calendar table that defines all dates, and a Sales table that includes the Revenue, Start Date, End Date. I added a computed column BillingDays for the number of days excluding holidays and weekends. I added a computed column to set the revenue for each billing day. I also want a Measure that can be used for the displaying the revenue over the course of the contract from Start Date through End Date.

BillingDays = CALCULATE(COUNT('Calendar'[WorkDay]),
           DATESBETWEEN('Calendar'[CalendarDate], 
                        'Sales'[StartDate],
                        'Sales'[EndDate]
                       ), 'Calendar'[WorkDay] = 1
          )

RevenuePerBillingDay = DIVIDE(Sales[Revenue],Sales[BillingDays],0)

Measure = CALCULATE(
SUM(Sales[RevenuePerBillingDay]),
FILTER ('Calendar','Calendar'[WorkDay]=1),
FILTER ('Sales','Sales'[StartDate] <= CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Calendar'[CalendarDate] ) ) ),
FILTER ( 'Sales', 'Sales'[EndDate] >= CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'Calendar'[CalendarDate] ) ) )
)

A few problems:

1. The filter to just include WorkDays does not do anything. 
  2. If a non-work day is included (WorkDay = 0), I would want the Measure for that day to be $0.
  3. The total of the Measure from StartDate to EndDate adds up to $16 instead of  $1000, (because $15.625 * 64 = $1000).

Sales DataSales DataNon-Work Days Have Value for MeasureNon-Work Days Have Value for Measure

Issue1.4.png

Dec 2,3 should have $0 Revenue (as they are not work days)Dec 2,3 should have $0 Revenue (as they are not work days)

Thank you for assistance.

7 REPLIES 7
jimplum01
Frequent Visitor

The Key issue is to see that when WorkDay=0, the Measure for that day is $0. 

Would anyone have ideas on how to achieve that?

Can you add another measure called Measure1 and use that in the graph:

Measure1 = if(WorkDays = 0, BLANK(), MEASURE)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Similar issue with trying to calculate this way:

SUM(Sales[RevenuePerBillingDay])*'Calendar'[WorkDay]

Results in the following error message:

A single value for column 'WorkDay' in table 'Calendar' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

@jimplum01

In your scenario, you have created the "BillingDays" and "RevenuePerBillingDay" based on the CalendarDate table. Now you need to limit the Sales table context if the CalendarDate date values is in date range of the Sales row context.

I assume you have Sales table below:

133.PNG

Then you should filter the CalendarDate date values to determine if rows in Sales table need to be included. The formula of the measure should be like below:

Measure = 
	CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[RevenuePerBillingDay]),
		FILTER(Sales,
			COUNTROWS(
				FILTER(
					VALUES(CalendarDate[Date]),
			            Sales[StartDate]<=CalendarDate[Date] &&
			            Sales[EndDate]>=CalendarDate[Date])
			)>0
			)
		)

And if a date appears in multiple date ranges, the corresponding "RevenuePerBillingDay" will aggregate.

233.PNG

234.PNG

235.PNG

Regards,

Thank you for looking at this.

The results of the DAX expression you provided are the same as what I have had, but, I will dig in a bit more on the structure of what you suggested to understand the nesting methods on how you filtered.

The problem remanins that the Value of the Measure should be $0 in your example when IsWorkDay=0.

If it was SQL, it would be something like SUM(Sales.RevenuePerDay)*CalendarDate.IsWorkDay, but that kind of expression I cannot get to work in DAX.

@jimplum01

In this scenario, we can build a calculated table to build that measure into a column. Then add a calculated column and apply condition with IF statement.

Table = ADDCOLUMNS(CalendarDate,"RevenuePerDay",[Measure])
RevenuePerBillingDay = IF('Table'[IsWorkDay]=1,'Table'[RevenuePerDay],BLANK())

55.PNG

Regards,

Your input was helpful, and based on this I have come up with the following (since I need to be able to slice by SalesPipelineID as well. I need to rename my table 'Calendar' to aviod any confusion with the Calendar funcion.

BillingForecast = 
ADDCOLUMNS( CROSSJOIN(
SUMMARIZE('Sales', [SalesPipelineID]) ,
SUMMARIZE('Calendar',[CalendarDate],[WorkDay])
),
"RevenuePerDay",[Measure]*[WorkDay]
)

I am going to do a bit more testing with some scenarios to see if this is the desired result for all cases.

Is there a benefit to using Blank() instead of 0 for days that should not count revenue?

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.