Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BI_Nooby
Frequent Visitor

My table from measure has a limited relationship with it's parent table

I have a table (Customer Attributes) and I made a table based on it through DAX.

COs =
DISTINCT(
    UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Customer Attributes', "Commerciële Organisatie" , 'Customer Attributes'[Commerciële Organisatie]),
    {"Others"}
    )
)

SNIP.png

It's defining the relationship as limited or weak. But that's seems crazy to me, while a DAX made table is IMPORT by default, and my dataset connected is DirectQuery....

They're basically the same table column... so why can't I make this a regular relationship?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BI_Nooby 

You could read the following articles to learn about why this happens. They have a detailed explanation about this problem. 

Model relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regular and limited relationships in Power BI - SQLBI

In short, a model relationship is limited when there's no guaranteed "one" side. A limited relationship can happen for two reasons:

• The relationship uses a many-to-many cardinality type (even if one or both columns contain unique values).
  • The relationship is cross source group (which can only ever be the case for composite models).

vjingzhang_0-1688024015343.png

A calculated table is always in Import mode while your source table (Customer Attributes) is in DirectQuery mode, so the relationship between them is across different source groups. The calculated table (COs) is in Vertipaq source group while the DirectQuery table (Customer Attributes) is in DirectQuery source group. A cross-source relationship will be a limited relationship. 

To make the relationship a regular one, you can either convert the DirectQuery table into Import mode, or create the COs table in the same data source as the DirectQuery table then connect to it with DirectQuery mode. Once they are in the same source group, the one-to-many relationship will be a regular relationship. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BI_Nooby 

You could read the following articles to learn about why this happens. They have a detailed explanation about this problem. 

Model relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Regular and limited relationships in Power BI - SQLBI

In short, a model relationship is limited when there's no guaranteed "one" side. A limited relationship can happen for two reasons:

• The relationship uses a many-to-many cardinality type (even if one or both columns contain unique values).
  • The relationship is cross source group (which can only ever be the case for composite models).

vjingzhang_0-1688024015343.png

A calculated table is always in Import mode while your source table (Customer Attributes) is in DirectQuery mode, so the relationship between them is across different source groups. The calculated table (COs) is in Vertipaq source group while the DirectQuery table (Customer Attributes) is in DirectQuery source group. A cross-source relationship will be a limited relationship. 

To make the relationship a regular one, you can either convert the DirectQuery table into Import mode, or create the COs table in the same data source as the DirectQuery table then connect to it with DirectQuery mode. Once they are in the same source group, the one-to-many relationship will be a regular relationship. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BI_Nooby , Try to have same table at source and check, You can create a view if needed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.