Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

User_Error
Regular Visitor

My data and I are speaking different languages. Please Help!

In my power BI data set, the data is similar to below.  I would like to be able to calculate the cells below in green without the visuals summing the values.   When I try to see total number of clients I can calculate the distinct count just fine, it’s when I try to calculate the number needed column, it will sum all the data and I can not see the actual value for the client.  I know it's my lack of knowledge but thank you in advance for all of your help.

User_Error_0-1677171371547.png

3 REPLIES 3
Len_Barr
Resolver I
Resolver I

IF you are trying to show the "number needed" in a card, do the following: 

1. Drag the "number needed" into the card

2. In the card visualisation, under Fields, click the dropdown, then deselect "Sum" and instead select "Average"

When you are viewing all the results for all clients, it will show you the average number need. When you select a client, this will simply divide the "Number needed" by the number of selected clients (which is 1), and give you the specific number associated next to their name. If your client ID repeats throughout different rows, you will get the average number needed for that client. 

SUm.png

I appologize for the poor explination of my issue.  I greatly appreciate all of the help with this and am very greatful for such a wonderfully helpful community.

What I ended up doing was taking the actual table and creating a duplicate table. in the new duplicate tabel I removed all duplicates in the client column and linked the two tables (the origional and duplicate).

I basically needed the unique count of Reqs# or clients (in my poor example) with the Hires Needed or Number Needed.

Then I wanted to see the total over all without counting the duplicates

this was a quick fix but will be a pain constantly updating.  

Once again I apologize for the poor explination and thank you all so much for the assistacnce.

User_Error_0-1677250749608.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@User_Error Not sure I completely understand, but try this:

Measure = 
  VAR __Table = FILTER('Table',[Status]="Open")
  VAR __Result = SUMX(__Table, [Number needed])
RETURN
  __Result

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.