Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jfieck
Regular Visitor

My Timestamp not showing as a date hierarchy in PowerBI Desktop for Direct Query report...

Hello all.  I have what I'm pretty confident is a bug in PowerBI desktop.

I am brining in a single value called "createdon" that is a from a postgresql db and the data type is timestamp.

If you look at Transform Data it looks like this:

jfieck_1-1698377271244.png

Note the little datetime icon which I believe indicates it recognizes this as a timestamp object.

Now if you pull this value into a visual you will see the icon indicating time is gone and there is no option to let you convert the date into a hierarchy.

jfieck_2-1698377471563.png

This seems to only expose itself using Direct Query report.  

If I open an "Import" report report and pull in the exact same column you will see the time icon in Transform Data and when you pull into a visual:

jfieck_3-1698377705914.png

Can someone tell me how to report this a bug to Microsoft.  I have tried to find a matching ticket or another post to community on this but have not.  If one is there in an obvious capacity I certainly appologize.  

4 REPLIES 4
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @jfieck ,

you can reach out to microsoft support directly through this link https://support.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

Hi @jfieck 

This is not a bug but limitation with Power BI and it can be seen in the official documentation of Power BI

You can refer to this post https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Direct-Query-issues-with-Date-Hierarchy/m-p/259552...

ribisht17_0-1698380184258.png

>>Using DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

You can submit and idea here https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/ , this can't be post as a bug

Regards,

Ritesh

Mark my post as a solution if it helped you| Munde and Kudis (Ladies and Gentlemen) I like your Kudos!! !!
My YT Channel Dancing With Data !! Connect on Linkedin !! PL 300 Certification Series

Thanks all.  I read the Why there is no date hierarchy - Microsoft Power BI Community and couldn't really figure out the one-to-one one-to-many or how to change to do whatever it was the article was suggesting was a workaround for this.  From an end user view, my report should function exactly the same using Direct Query versus Import.  I know there are technical implications here but from an end user perspective this is really very frusterating to have to manage manually just because I want to the report fetch newer data.

I do appreciate the feedback and being pointed to clips that at least show MS knows about this.  Thanks much!

Great, help the community back by marking the relevant answer here so that it can help others as well

Regards,

Ritesh

Mark my post as a solution if it helped you| Munde and Kudis (Ladies and Gentlemen) I like your Kudos!! !!
My YT Channel Dancing With Data !! Connect on Linkedin !! PL 300 Certification Series

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.