Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apaulso9
Resolver I
Resolver I

Monthly Inmate Count From Booking and Release date

Hello all,

I have the booking and release date for inmates in a Jail. I would like to have the count of inmates in jail per month. I have tried the following DAX code: 

InmateCount =
VAR selectedDate = Max ('Date'[Date])
RETURN
SUMX(vwBookingSearch,
VAR InmateStartDate = [BookingDate1]
VAR InmateEndDate = [ReleaseDate1]
RETURN IF (InmateStartDate<= selectedDate &&OR (InmateEndDate>selectedDate, InmateEndDate=BLANK()),1,0))

However this returns a number much smaller than the actuall answer. I do not have my vwBookingSEarch table related to the date table. I am wondering if this might not work because I have multiple years of data and the Max('Date'[Date]) function might be messing up the output. Any ideas would help regardless of using this code.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
alivenjess

Hello there,

It sounds like you're working on a data analysis project involving inmate counts from booking and release dates, and you're encountering some discrepancies in your results. It's possible that the issue lies in the relationship between your 'Date' table and the 'vwBookingSearch' table, especially considering multiple years of data. The Max('Date'[Date]) function might indeed be affecting the output, so exploring alternative approaches or refining your DAX code could be beneficial. Additionally, ensuring a proper relationship between your tables could help resolve the discrepancy. Having accurate data is crucial, just like having a reliable mugshot to identify individuals accurately. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thank you. The HR problem is similar but also gives very low answers. I know from the data source that the inmates get booked into that the inmate count is nearly 70 every month. Here Is what I get with both of these attempts:

employee.PNG

This is identical for what I tried the first time and the second. My data looks the same as the HR example.

I can tell it has something to do with the date relationship because if I break it down by year this is what I get a smaller number then all the months combined for 2022.

yearly.PNG

I fixed this by duplicating the table and deleting all other relationships from it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.