Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ThiasW
Regular Visitor

Modeling: Pros and Cons connected scenario dimension

Hi community, 

I am struggling with a rather simple question. I want to set up a financial tabular model. As I saw it is quite common to integrate a "scenario dimension" connected to the financial fact table containing attributes like "actuals", "plan" and "forcasts". 

But somehow I have the opinion, that this dimension should not be connected to the fact table. Instead the actual, plan values and so on should be placed in separated columns to follow best practise star schema approach. I am struggling with mixing two different business processes like acutal values and planning cooperate values in one column. Especially for huge amounts of data I think the compression and performance would be much better, if I have three column (AC, PL, FC) instead of one, which forces me to filter via a connected dimension. But maybe I am wrong.

Is there any source for best practice approaches one can refer to, gathering some arguments for this topic? 

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hello. Were you able to solve your doubt in the end? I have the same question right now. Thank you!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

The single dimension approach has the benefit of providing the correct sorting order for the final visuals

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Hi thanks for your answer, 

I am not sure which option one would call "single dimension approach", connected or unconnected "scenario dimension". 

I think in both cases I can force the right sort order by sorting scenario names through a sort column. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.