Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mixed security - row, global, none - how to implement in 1 dashboard

Looking for some guidance on how to implement this so 1 dashboard can support all the requirements:

Overview:

Dashboard is integrated with form data from smartsheets.  In smartsheets Users go in to fill out a form to request a new hire requsition.  Smartsheets captures the email address of the requestor (which matches their PowerBI login).

Needs:

Would like 1 dashboard that will allow all these scenarios:

- Senior Management - needs to see all data available; no restrictions.  Need ability to add/remove Users from this group at any time (will be maintained manually somewhere)

- Hiring Managers - should only see data/metrics related to THEIR OWN requests.  This is a large number of Users and don't want to have to grant individual access (dashboard link should be available to everyone).  Note - Senior Management can also be Hiring Managers.

- Everyone else - when accessing dashboard should see nothing or not even be able to access at all.

One idea I had was to maintain two tables - one automatic with the email address of each Hiring Manager - other manually managed with emails of Senior Managers then using Measures for eveything displayed.  Each measure would have an if/else to determine if the User was a senior mngr/hiring mngr/or neither and filter appropriately... just not sure how I would display the raw data table using this approach.

Any other (hopefully more elegant) ways to implement this?

Thanks!!

2 REPLIES 2
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Hoe about using RLS on the dashboard? 

RLS is supported on Dashboard.The thing that you have to know is that instead of using the USERNAME() DAX function in Power BI Desktop you have to hardcode this with the user's UPN (User Principal Name) that you want to test it with. When you do it in this way you can see if you are getting the desired output.

For more you can refer to :Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Things you need to know to get it working! 

In the threads mentioned in this article, the forum experts explain it very well, I hope it will be helpful for you.

Is this Possible for RLS in Dashboard? 

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide more details with your desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Polly - yes, I do realize I need to use RLS.  I have a Hiring Manager Profile already created using a very simple filter:

[Hiring Manager Email] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

The above works great however it requires me to manually add in each Hiring Manager email into the "Manager" security role in PowerBI web.  There is a large number of Users here and I would like the ability to skip this step and automatically add in all the email addresses from the source table into this profile.  Hopefully that is clear... any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.