Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DanAtMGT

Merging cells in a data table

I am very interested to know if MS Power BI can merge individual cells within the actual main data section, not in a report…as these data cells (merged within the data set) create specific pivot charts.

This can be done easily in MS Excel but seems difficult in Power BI.

Hopefully, I can find answers here...

Thanks

Dan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DanAtMGT 

Unfortunately, we cannot achieve the same functionality as the one shown in the image and using the same workflow as Excel. This is because the tool works differently. Excel operates at the cell level, and you can also "write and draw into it" like in other Microsoft programs. POWER BI, on the other hand, works with columns like Access and SQL, and the visualizations, including tables, inherit their characteristics from their definitions. Therefore, apart from conditional formatting options, which again require some logic, you cannot make changes at the "cell" level. This is why the "Merge & Center" function that exists in Excel is not available.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DanAtMGT

Hi Rita1983,

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for my late response to you till now.

I have approx 700 rows of data in Excel, with approximately 20 columns. I have some cells in one of two columns, which, when merged, create a specific chart. If the cells are not merged, the chart information is not accurate.

See the below screenshot showing the MGT Treatment Positive result compared to the MGT Report Positive result,

DanAtMGT_0-1714606703630.png

Can MS PowerBI accommodate the same Excel feature?

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi @DanAtMGT 

Unfortunately, we cannot achieve the same functionality as the one shown in the image and using the same workflow as Excel. This is because the tool works differently. Excel operates at the cell level, and you can also "write and draw into it" like in other Microsoft programs. POWER BI, on the other hand, works with columns like Access and SQL, and the visualizations, including tables, inherit their characteristics from their definitions. Therefore, apart from conditional formatting options, which again require some logic, you cannot make changes at the "cell" level. This is why the "Merge & Center" function that exists in Excel is not available.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Ritaf1983 Thanks for your contribution on this thread.

Hi @DanAtMGT ,

I'm not clear about your requirement. Could you please provide some raw data (exclude the sensitive info) in the excel file with Text format and the logic of column MGT Treatment Positive result and MGT Report Positive result?

For instructions on how to share the required information, please refer to the following link: 

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @DanAtMGT 
Can you give an example of what are you trying to achieve?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.