Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nazdravanul
Frequent Visitor

Merge problems - incorrect expand

Hi all, 

I have the following problem. I have 2 tables, which have the following approximate format:

Table 1 (selection of columns)

Email           Transaction ID  Date              Payment processor   Status

john@gmail  0001                01/02/2018   PaymentYellow          Paid

john@gmail  cd_03A            01/03/2018    PaymentBlack           Paid

john@gmail  cd_03B            01/04/2018    PaymentBlack           Paid

john@gmail  cd_03B            01/04/2018    PaymentBlack           Refund

Table 2 (all columns): 

Email           Transaction ID  Date              Payment processor   Transaction number

john@gmail  0001                01/02/2018   PaymentYellow          0

john@gmail  cd_03A            01/03/2018    PaymentBlack           1

john@gmail  cd_03B            01/04/2018    PaymentBlack           2

The transaction number in table 2 is correctly calculated after the following indexing: 

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Removed Duplicates", {"Email"}, {{"Count", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_,"Index2",0,1), type table}}),
#"Expanded Count" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Count", {"PaymentProcessor", "Transaction Id", "Date", "Index2"}, {"PaymentProcessor", "Transaction ID", "Date", "Transaction number"}),

The problem happens after the merge. After merging based on any combination of keys, trimmed, cleaned, transformed all to text, the transaction number, in around 25% of cases is not correctly transfered from Table 2 to Table 1 (left outer merge, with table 1 being on the left - I've tried multiple join options). No duplicate rows, most numbers get transported, but a significant part of them get incorrectly transported, with no obvious (to me) pattern, until now. 

Please help, I've been losing a lot of sleep over this. 

The expected result would be: 

Table 1 (after merge and expand) 

Email           Transaction ID  Date              Payment processor   Status   Transaction number 

john@gmail  0001                01/02/2018   PaymentYellow          Paid           0

john@gmail  cd_03A            01/03/2018    PaymentBlack           Paid           1

john@gmail  cd_03B            01/04/2018    PaymentBlack           Paid           2

john@gmail  cd_03B            01/04/2018    PaymentBlack           Refund       2

16 REPLIES 16

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.