Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure value from Slicer, including all combinations of slicer options

Hi,

I have a dimension table for time of day (TOD) with 3 options: "1" = day shift, "2" = evening shift, and "3" = night shift.

I frequently chart number of shift per time of day (TOD) based on the "shift codes" logged in our scheduling system. Some shifts (and hence shift codes) span more than one TOD. e.g., "A" shift is 8 hours on day shift and 4 hours on evening shift. The way our scheduling system works is that "A" gets recorded twice:

Entry 1: "A 8 1"

Entry 2: "A 4 2"

The above translates to:

Entry 1: "shift code A, 8 hours on TOD 1"

Entry 1: "shift code A, 4 hours on TOD 2"

An issue I'm facing is that if I simply COUNT instances of 'A' shift I get different answers based on what TOD I'm filtering for. If I'm looking at just TOD =1, then count =1 (desired and correct result). If my slicer is showing TOD 1&2, then count of 'A' is 2 (a misleading result but technically correct math given the data structure). I desire to set my shift count based on what TOD is selected in the slicer, such that if only one TOD is selected (1 OR 2 OR 3) then count as normal, but if TOD selected is (1 AND 2; 2 AND 3; or 1 AND 2 AND 3) then count for 'A' shift should be divided by 2. 

I have in the past created a measure that changes value based on a slicer (SELECTEDVALUE and SWITCH functions using a disconnected table). However, I'm unclear how to do this with multiple selected values.

Is this possible? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,

Based on what I got

Power Query - 1. Split into columns by delimiters :

2. In the second column remove " , replace with an empty string

3. Split into columns by delimiters - Space

now you can use these new columns as per need

Split Column Power Query: https://youtu.be/FyO9Vmhcfag

Power Query Replace Value: https://youtu.be/hkZhZbR7Kmk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak , thanks for the reply.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're suggesting a change to how my columns are set up to somehow make the math work. Is that right? If so, can you please expand on what the logic is?

I'm afraid I'm not seeing how it will help with the fact that there are two rows showing "A" and therefore counts as 2 instances of "A" instead of just 1. 

Thanks for your time!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.