Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PaulR17
Frequent Visitor

Measure giving different results in different visuals

Hi All,

I have a measure that gives the correct results in a table, but completely different results in any chart that I try.

This is the measure:

Actual Utilised Days = SUMX(VALUES(BookingVehicles[VehicleId]), [Total Days Utilised])

I have tried creating a new page and reloading all the filters, but nothing works.

Any ideas as to how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulR17 ,

As @TomMartens said, the current row context and filter context will affect the result of measure. Please refer to for more details:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/row-context-and-filter-context-in-dax/ 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulR17 ,

As @TomMartens said, the current row context and filter context will affect the result of measure. Please refer to for more details:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/row-context-and-filter-context-in-dax/ 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @PaulR17 ,

this is difficult to answer.

What you have to consider whenever a measure is evaluated, is the concept known as Filter context,

Ths means,  everything that filters a table contributes to the filter context, of course, this is only valid for columns from tables that have an impact on the numeric expression, the first parameter of the CALCULATE function.

The measure (I assume it is a measure), the 2nd parameter of the SUMX, is impacted by the filter context.

Column header of a table visual, column and row headers of the matrix visual, columns used on the axis of a visual, as well as the legend are forming the filter context. Of course also slicers are contributing to filter context.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on what's going on.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens 

Thank you for the advice.

I have made sure that all the filters are the same for both visuals, but it doesn't stop the results being wildely and inconsistently different. 

I'll keep plugging away 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PaulR17 , can you share formula for [Total Days Utilised]

Hi Amitchandak,

Here is the formula 

Total Days Utilised =

var sameVehicle = COUNTROWS (
FILTER (
VALUES ( BookingVehicles[BookingId] ),
CALCULATE ( COUNT ( BookingVehicles[VehicleId] ) > DISTINCTCOUNT ( BookingVehicles[VehicleId] ) )
)
)

return {
IF(NOT(sameVehicle),
SUMX(
VALUES(BookingVehicles[BookingId]), [New No of Utilised Days]
),
DIVIDE(SUMX(
VALUES(BookingVehicles[BookingId]), [New No of Utilised Days]
), 2 )
)
}

And here is [New No of Utilised Days]

New No of Utilised Days =

var bookingID = MAX(BookingVehicles[BookingId])
var vehicleSwap = COUNTROWS(FILTER(BookingVehicles, BookingVehicles[BookingId] = bookingID)) >1
var noVehicleSwap = COUNTROWS(FILTER(BookingVehicles, BookingVehicles[BookingId] = bookingID)) = 1
var moreThanTwoVehicles = COUNTROWS(FILTER(BookingVehicles, BookingVehicles[BookingId] = bookingID)) > 2
var endTime = IF(noVehicleSwap, MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective End Datetime]), IF(MAX(BookingVehicles[Actual Delivery Time]) <MAX( BookingVehicles[Effective End Datetime]) && MAX(HireStatus[Hire Status Name]) = "Finalised", MAX(BookingVehicles[Actual Delivery Time]), MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective End Datetime])))
var startTime = IF(MAX(BookingDates[ChargeFromDateTime]) > MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective Start Datetime]), MAX(BookingDates[ChargeFromDateTime]), MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective Start Datetime]))
var TotalMinutesHired = DATEDIFF(startTime, endTime , MINUTE)
var totalDaysHired = DATEDIFF(startTime, endTime, DAY)
var endGracetime = MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective End Time])
var startGraceTime = MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective Start Time])
var Grace = IF(endGracetime < startGraceTime, 0, MOD(TotalMinutesHired,1440)) // Capture early returns
var GraceDiff = Grace - 1438 // To capture whole days from 00.01 to 23.59 that are not grace time
var AllocatedGraceDays = MAX(BookingDates[GracePeriod]) // From vehicle swaps etc
var diffMinutes = MAX(BookingVehicles[DeliveryTime]) < MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective Start Time])
var notLastVehicle = MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective Start Date]) = MAX(BookingDates[ChargeFromDate])
var Days = MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective End Datetime]) - MAX(BookingVehicles[Effective Start Datetime]) - AllocatedGraceDays
var LastDayofDateRange = MAX(Dates[Date])
var FirstDayofDateRange = MIN(Dates[Date])
var result =
SUMX(
FILTER(BookingVehicles, NOT(ISBLANK(BookingVehicles[VehicleId]))),
var firstDayOfUtilisation = startTime
var lastDayOfUtilisation = endTime

return
IF(
ISBLANK(firstDayOfUtilisation) || firstDayOfUtilisation > lastDayOfUtilisation,
COUNTROWS(
INTERSECT(
CALENDAR(firstDayOfUtilisation, lastDayOfUtilisation),
VALUES('Dates'[Date])
)
)
)
)

var allowBlank = NOT(ISBLANK([No of InFleet Days]))
var isBlank = AND(allowBlank, ISBLANK(result))

return IF(isBlank, 0, IF([lastDayOfUtilisation] > LastDayofDateRange,result,
IF([firstDayOfUtilisation] >= FirstDayofDateRange && [lastDayOfUtilisation] <= LastDayofDateRange, result - 1,
IF(TotalMinutesHired< 1440, result,
IF(GraceDiff = 0, result,
IF(vehicleSwap && notLastVehicle && moreThanTwoVehicles, result +1,
IF(vehicleSwap && notLastVehicle, result,
IF(diffMinutes && vehicleSwap, result,
IF(Grace >59, result +1, result

))))))))

)

Really appreciate your help

Sorry, @amitchandak I forgot to mention you. Hopefully, you will see this now

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.