Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Charles-C
Regular Visitor

MdxScript(Model) (4, 60) Failed to resolve name 'COALESCE'

Good Day.

I have an SSAS tabular model (SQL Server 2016 RTM (1200) – Compatibility Level) that I use to connect to Power BI Desktop. All my measures are created in the tabular model so that I can use the same model for different reports. I'm not keen on (blank) results in a visual so I make use of COALESCE to resolve this.

When I deploy the model with the measure then I get an error: "Failed to resolve name 'COALESCE'. It is not a valid table, variable, or function name." and it won’t deploy. If I deploy the model without the measure then it deploys fine, I can then add the measure afterwards and it will then deploy successfully again but this time with my measure but when I try and use the measure in Power BI I get the same error.

Whilst connected to my SSAS model, if I try and create a new measure in Power BI then the COALESCE function is not available in Power BI.

Has anyone experienced this before or can anyone perhaps give me some guidance on where I could be going wrong?

I am running Power BI desktop version 2.100.1182.0 64-bit (December 2021)

Can't display Visual.pngCouldn't load the data for this visual.pngMissing COALESCE.png

5 REPLIES 5
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi,

COALESCE was added to DAX in 2020. (The COALESCE function in DAX - SQLBI

You're connecting to a 2016 SSAS instance and so it isn't supported. When you make a connection like that you are using the formula engine that belongs to the SSAS instance and not power bi.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi bcdobbs,

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I am aware that that COALESCE was only introduced in 2020 and the reason I was posting this question was becuase we have a similar model that is deployed also with the SQL Server 2016 RTM (1200) – Compatibility Level to an Azure analysis service and through that the COALESCE seems to be working fine.

Could it be that the Azure analysis services uses its own formula engine, sorry not too strong on Azure yet.

That does sound odd. It's possible that the compatibility level simply describes the structure of TOM rather than specific DAX supported (Not too sure!)

If you connect to your azure model with tabular editor does it still show 1200?

There is a note of caution at bottom of 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/compatibility-level-for-tabular-mo...

if you're looking at max supported levels.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

I do have to apologise, I had the compatibility level incorrect, I confirmed now on both the Azure and local instance and both are using the SQL Server 2017 / Azure Analysis Services (1400) compatibility level. Even though I initially mentioned the incorrect compatibility the issue is still the same on the local instance

To answer your question, Yes the Tabular editor and the database both shows the SQL Server 2017 / Azure Analysis Services (1400) compatibility level.

Images are from the the model and server where the COALESCE is working.

Tabular Properties.pngAzure Analysis Tabular Properties.png

No worries. I'll have a play and see if I can recreate my end.

I suspect your conclusion is correct though. The underlying formula engine for Azure AS supports the new DAX as it's constantly updated while your on prem instance is stuck with what it has.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.