Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

plemo
Regular Visitor

Matrix table on already aggregated facts and lookups returns unexpected results

Hi All,

I'm currently running Power BI Desktop version:  2.105.923.0 64-bit (mai 2022).

Now trying to build a matrix table to let the users expand from the top level of a hierarchy and show all the related and already aggregated values, but can't get the desired result despite many different attempts. So I thought I'd ask the community!

Original data has this shape:

LevelNode NumberParent Node NumberNode NameValue
010Top node16
121Node a27
131Node a39
242Node b17
253Node b25
263Node b34

What I'm after in a Power BI Matrix table:

Initial presentation:

NodeValue
+ Top Node16

After expanding on the Top Node:

NodeValue
- Top Node16
         + Node a27
         + Node a39

After expanding only on a2:

NodeValue
- Top Node16
         - Node a27
              + Node b17
         + Node a39

After expanding only on a3:

NodeValue
- Top Node16
         + Node a27
         - Node a39
              + Node b25
              + Node b34

Taking the initial table, in my database, I have created 4 views, one dimension (look up) per split level, 3 in the current example, and one fact containing the Node Number and the Value.

Each Dimension contains the Node Number, the Parent Node Number and the Node Name.

In Power BI Model, I have joined each dimension, cascading down from split level 0, from Node Number to Parent Node Number.

I have also joined each Dimension Node Number to the Fact Node Number.

I have removed all sums from all tables given that the values are already aggregated.

what I get is not the desired results as shown above when I stack the dimensions 0 and 1 in the right order from top to bottom as rows And Value in the Values section in the matrix Build Visual. I even get blank nodes and a grand total which is twice what it should be:

Obtained result:

NodeValue
         Node a27
         Node a39
- Top Node16
Total32

Am I missing something in the model setup, such as making some of the fields nullable? Something else?

Or is this just not the way to do it? In which case, what is the best way to represent an already aggregated hierachical set of data?

Thanks for your answers!

Plemo

p.s. Sorry about the columns in the tables, I'm loosing them when posting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Read about ragged hierarchies and how to handle them in Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This is not the way to do it. Use the PATH functions in DAX and create a hierarchy from the PATHITEM() values.  You can do all this with a single table.

Thanks Ibendlin, I'm playing with the PATH and PathItem at the moment. It's looking better in terms of hierarchy. Using Path and PathItem I have created several columns from level 1 to level 10.

Though when I display it in the matrix, stacking level 1 to 10 as rows, I get an empty branch for each node I expand and I can't figure out why.

Read about ragged hierarchies and how to handle them in Power BI.

Thanks so much for all the info you've given me, it's been really helpful!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.