Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lodoardi
Frequent Visitor

Matrix - The Total is ignoring the columns

Hi everybody,

I have a matrix with two fields in "Columns", but in the "Total" column I just see the final big total, and not the total for each value in the columns.

Picture1.png

As shown in the picture, I should find the total, for the whole week, of Full Price and Outlet, but I just see the big total.

How can I solve the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Lodoardi,

In the Matrix visual, Total Column is returning total for the outmost layer column group instance, so what you get is expected.

q1.PNG

Currently, the matrix doesn't support custom total values. In your scenario, to work around the issue, you can create another matrix, place the field contains %Full and %Out, and Year-Semester in Rows, and value field in Values.

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you explain a little more about what you want? If I add the bold items in the first row, this adds up to the Total at the end for that row, which seems proper but obviously is not what you want?

I assume Total is a measure?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Values are good, I wrote the measure to give me a different total (you can see that the sum of full price and outlet is aalways 100 even if the total is different). What I want is to have the last bold column called "Total" divided (like the others) by Full Price and Outlet, and finally the Total of everything. Insted I just have the Total of everything.
In the following image (I found it in the web) There is part of this kind of total I'm describing.

Picture1.png

Tanks.

OK, trying to wrap my head around this. Are you saying that you want the total "% Full" and Total "% Out" at the end of the row so that you know what total % was Full vs. Outlet, or do you want to know the Amount of Full vs. Outlet in $$?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I want these three columns on the right end: "Total % Full Price", "Total % Outlet" (as you said) and finally "Total" (The only column that I already have).

Hi @Lodoardi,

In the Matrix visual, Total Column is returning total for the outmost layer column group instance, so what you get is expected.

q1.PNG

Currently, the matrix doesn't support custom total values. In your scenario, to work around the issue, you can create another matrix, place the field contains %Full and %Out, and Year-Semester in Rows, and value field in Values.

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.