Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Juraj

Master report & subreport question

Hello,

I have an issue I couldnt find solution to when browsing through forum. I need to create Masterreport, which is carrier of data model /calculations and visual objects. Subsequently I create subreports, that are same as Master, but have user filter applied (Master report has all users, subreport is report for particular user - meaning everything is the same as in Master, but it contains only subset of data compared to Master).

Now problem - I need to know if its possible to edit/update Master report (either data model/structure/calculations or visual objects) and subreports would update automatically too (without going to every single report and making the same edit as in Master).

Any help?

Thanks a lot

Juraj

5 REPLIES 5
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Juraj

@Salvador is correct. To use a Power BI report as data source, you have to publish that report onto Power BI Service first, then get data from Power BI Service. You can't directly use a .pbix file as data source to create report.

Regards

Salvador
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

You could do it, but the "subreports" should be made with the master report as data source 😛 1.png

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Juraj this might be a stupid question but why dont you use row level security  and then you can just have one report?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Vanessa,

I think I expressed myself incorrectly. Those users, I need to apply filter for, are outside of our organization. From what I understood RLS works if people are in the same organization and work on the same project.

Simply what I need to get are web-published subreports that look and track same things as Master but are constrained by one particular metric (filter). And if I make a change in Master (either new measure/calculation or visual edit) I would need that subreports will reflect that (without going into subreports and making changes and then re-publishing them).

Thanks a lot!

syilmaz
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Juraj,

While I was searching in the forum I have come across to your topic. Did you find a way on your issue? I am in the same situation as yours. Looking forward to any reply.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.