Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Map Legend

I have a map with the following:

Legend: => Division 

Values: => Number of Projects (its just a simple counting measure)

When you click on a Division in the Map Legend => ALL locations become greyed out - still visible but greyed out.

Adjacent visualizations adjust accordingly to reflect data only for this division however ALL locations on the map become greyed out.

If I use a Slicer the map zooms in only on that division and they are not greyed out however the rest disappear.

I don't get why selecting a Division on the Map Legend filters the adjacent vizualizations correctly but ALL locations become greyed out including the selected Division?

Has anyone else encoutered this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Sean,

OK, I tried this with the following data:

County,State,Division,Value
Madison,Ohio,Division1,10
Franklin,Ohio,Division2,20
Union,Ohio,Division3,30
Logan,Ohio,Division1,40
Marion,Ohio,Division2,50
Delaware,Ohio,Division3,60

I confirmed the behavior. Interestingly, if I only used "State", I got a little pie chart (and I mean little) but when clicking on division in the legend, it greyed out the other divisions parts of the pie and highlighted the one I clicked. Not sure if that is "by design" or a bug but I am seeing the same thing you are.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for trying it out and confirming!

I also encountered another issue when I substituted Division with Deadline in the Map Legend.

The Deadline field is Data Type: Date and Formatted: MM/dd/yyyy

However in the Map Legend it displays MM/dd/yyyy 12:00:00 AM - I tried every format but can't get rid of the time

In a table or a matrix or a slicer the Deadline field displays as intended MM/dd/yyyy

Nice one, so sounds like the map legend is not honoring the format setting, that's interesting to know!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I hope someone from the PBI team addresses this behavior because (or explains why it behaves this way)

When you click on an item in the Map Legend you would expect the appropriate items to get highlighted and only the rest greyed out

In this case ALL items on the map (including the selected) become greyed out which gives the false impression none are present

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Make sure you submit this as a bug report, as well. You can do so in PBI Desktop by using the 'Send a frown' option in the File menu, and using the feedback menu in PBI Service.

The forums are a great avenue for discussing issues, sharing thoughts / ideas, and troubleshooting, but they are not the official medium to submit bug reports.

Proper bug reports will receive more attention from the devs than forum posts.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@greggyb I'll do that.Thanks!

@Greg_Deckler 

I just discovered that if the Map Legend field is from a related table everything works fine.

However if the field is from the same table it doesn't - go figure?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.