Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjsidek
Helper II
Helper II

Lookupvalue error = A table of multiple values was supplied when a single value was expected

Hello,

I currently have a dataset that looks like this

Sample dataset multiple value error.png

I created a measure in powerbi with the following DAX

Status of Deal Current Status = 
VAR __selectedDate = MAX ( Table1[Date of Event] )
VAR __companyName = SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Company Name])
VAR __latestStatus = LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[Status of deal],[Date of Event],__selectedDate,[Company Name],__companyName)
RETURN
IF ( __latestStatus == BLANK() || __latestStatus = "",
    VAR __latestStatusDate = 
        CALCULATE ( 
            MAX( Table1[Date of Event] ),
            Table1[Date of Event] < __selectedDate, 
            Table1[Status of deal] <> BLANK()  
        )
    RETURN  
        CALCULATE ( 
            MAX ( Table1[Status of deal] ), 
            Table1[Date of Event] = __latestStatusDate 
        ),
__latestStatus
)

As you can see from the sample dataset, there are multiple entries for the companies. For example, there are 4 entries for the company Jaya Grocer. The above DAX is an attempt to look at the column "Status of deal" for each company, by the latest entry.

I encountered an error with this DAX, and I realized that the error is because there are 2 entries for max date. In the sample dataset, I highlighted that Jaya Grocer has 2 entries with the same Max Date. Hence, the error. 

Is there a workaround for this? I could manipulate the underlying dataset in Excel but that would be a temporary fix. Does anyone have a workaround that is dynamic? Appreciate if anyone could offer some insight.

Below is a link to the pbi file and excel dataset

https://khazanahcommy-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rushdi_jaafar_khazanah_com_my/EsVSSOeqwldMjTH...

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

What is the error.  When i open the file, take the measure away from the visual and reinsert it, it shows the results just fine.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi Ashish,

I added a new entry for Jaya Grocer after the fact. If you try and refresh the dataset, PowerBI will not let you. It returns the following error:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'MdxScript(Model) (7, 34) A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected. The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed. '.

The error is not captured yet in the measure I created as Table1 is not refreshed to include the new entry for Jaya Grocer. Sorry for not clarifying this earlier

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.