Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GerbenvdHazel
Helper I
Helper I

Look up value between two dates from different table

Good day,

I have two tables.

One with trajectories with an end date.

The second table concerns relationships where persons working with a start and end date. The dates are not match exactly. Both tables have the same personal number.

I would like to have the company name from the second table.

A person can have different trajectories and different companies (history). I thougth about a between formula with datefilter and filter personal number. The end dates may differ.

link to file 

Hope to hear the solution
Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
RichardJ
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @GerbenvdHazel ,

Depending on your data, the LOOKUP function would let you use the Personal Number from the first table to lookup the Personal Number on the Second table then return the value of the Company from the matching row on the second table to the first table.

https://www.wallstreetmojo.com/power-bi-lookupvalue/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/lookupvalue-function-dax

explains how it works.

Hopefully this helps answer your question,

Cheers,

Richard

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@GerbenvdHazel is the 2nd table on 1 side of the relationship, if yes, then you can add column in 1st table like this

Company = RELATED ( Table2[Company] )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

A person can have different trajectories and different companies (history). I thougth about a between formula with datefilter and filter personal number

Hi @GerbenvdHazel ,

You can add filter in LOOKUPVALUE function. But without sample data, it's difficult to provide a detailed formula.

Would you please inform us more detailed information( your  data(by OneDrive for Business)) if possible? Then we will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks for helping. 
I edit the post with a link to the file.

Regards, Gerben

Hello

I have a question that I do not know how to solve. I have an excel with information of: several vehicles of a company (column with registrations) with an entry date (column "phase in") and another column of output "phase out". I also have another column "Ownership" that has to have the filter "Owned" which is the data that I want to know happens to know the fleet owned by the company.

I wanted to know what fleet I own every month in fiscal year. I understand that with a "DAX" you could? with which exactly??

I have the excel but I can't attach it, if necessary I can send it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @GerbenvdHazel ,

So what is the filter that you get companyName, I see you have duplicate Unique personal number value

and duplicate Date start value in  trajectories table.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

What I'm looking for is a lookupvalue that filters first on Unique personal number and then within the range of dates.

So end date of the trajectories and then search between date start and end of the placements. And come up with the companyname.

I hope it is possible.

A person can have different trajectories and different companies (history). I thougth about a between formula with datefilter and filter personal number

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.