Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pfarahani
Helper II
Helper II

Line Chart not Sorting in correct Order

Hello,

I have a Line Chart posted below. And the sort of the chart is not correct for some reason. In my Date slicer I have 1/1/2017 - 12-31/17 to get all of 2017. However in the Chart it is displaying in order of March, August, January, October, June, February ...... and so on. Perhaps it is because in the Date Slicer I am using a field called FullDate and in the chart Axis I am using a field called MonthName, maybe the different fields are causing this? Any ideas what I can try.... Thanks!

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Toerstad
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi.

I dont know what your calendar table looks like, but if you use a separate date dimension or calendar table try this:

1. Go to your calendar table in the data view.
  2. Selct the MonthName column
  3. Under the "Modeling"-tab in the ribbon, in the "Sort"-group, select "Sort By Column"
  4. Choose the column you want the column to sort by. With a proper date dimension or calendar table a YearMonth column is usually a good choice. But often MonthNumber will do.

To create a YearMonth-column if you dont have one you can add a custom calculated column in your date dimension table. A good format for such a column is "YYYYMM". This format will allways sort in the correct order. After adding this column you can choose it as a "Sort By Column" as per instructions above.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Toerstad
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi.

I dont know what your calendar table looks like, but if you use a separate date dimension or calendar table try this:

1. Go to your calendar table in the data view.
  2. Selct the MonthName column
  3. Under the "Modeling"-tab in the ribbon, in the "Sort"-group, select "Sort By Column"
  4. Choose the column you want the column to sort by. With a proper date dimension or calendar table a YearMonth column is usually a good choice. But often MonthNumber will do.

To create a YearMonth-column if you dont have one you can add a custom calculated column in your date dimension table. A good format for such a column is "YYYYMM". This format will allways sort in the correct order. After adding this column you can choose it as a "Sort By Column" as per instructions above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.