Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sarah8991
Frequent Visitor

Labelling Expired, Soon to Expire and Valid from End Date column

Hi,

I just started learning DAX- not sure if this should be done in DAX or Power Query. But what I'm trying to do is have a column that is automated to output "Expired", "Soon to Expire" and "Valid" depending on the "End Date" column. 

The "End Date" column feeds from our internal server. The output labelled "Soon to Expire" when the "End Date" is within 3 months from today.

sarah8991_0-1648140842149.png

Please advise how to get this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
truptis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @sarah8991 , Please check if the datatype of End Date column is a String or Date. If it is String then convert it into Date.
Also, Try this:
Result = if(day([enddate]) > Today(), "Expired", if(day([end date])+90 < Today(),"Valid", "Soon to expire"))

@sarah8991 -> hit the thumbs up & mark it as a solution if it helps you. Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
truptis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @sarah8991 , Please check if the datatype of End Date column is a String or Date. If it is String then convert it into Date.
Also, Try this:
Result = if(day([enddate]) > Today(), "Expired", if(day([end date])+90 < Today(),"Valid", "Soon to expire"))

@sarah8991 -> hit the thumbs up & mark it as a solution if it helps you. Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you! I changed it to Date and tried your suggestion, but now it can't seem to locate the "End Date" colum:

sarah8991_0-1648144513235.png

Do you know why this is happening? 

Thanks!

Hi @sarah8991 ,

Try this:

Result = if(day('tablename'[enddate]) > Today(), "Expired", if(day('tablename'[end date])+90 < Today(),"Valid", "Soon to expire"))

I changed it a bit and it works now, thank you 🙂 

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

"End Date" is just a string. You can't use DAY on a string.

When writing an IF statement, I always advise to start with a simple comparison and get that to work, so just try getting one part to work.

here's some examples: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/if-function-dax?WT.mc_id=DP-MVP-4025372#examples 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.