Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DoriSNG
Frequent Visitor

LOOKUPVALUE returns blank only for specific columns

Hi All, 

I've got a problem with a LOOKUPVALUE function, wondering if anyone can help me understand it better? Because of some specific reporting requirements I need a variable in a Measure to calculate what the Relative Period No from my Calendar table is for yesterday. For this, I wrote the following formula: 

LOOKUPVALUE('Calendar by Calendar Date'[Financial Relative Period],'Calendar by Calendar Date'[Calendar Date],TODAY()-1)

The values I would expect this to return are a 0 or a -1, but today it should be a 0. 

Instead, the formula returns blank, despite the fact that it is correctly identifying what TODAY()-1 is, the Calendar table is also populated with values for the Relative Period field, and also if I replace this field with another, the formula returns the correct value.

As an example if I swap it for the actual Period No: LOOKUPVALUE('Calendar by Calendar Date'[Financial Period No],'Calendar by Calendar Date'[Calendar Date],TODAY()-1) --> this then returns a value of 2, which is correct. 

Both the Relative Period and the Period No fields will repeat values for each Calendar Date of the Period, which doesn't seem to cause an issue when looking for the specific Period No and not the Relative Period No. 

Filtering on the 12/03/2023 these are the values in my table for both fields. Both formatted as Whole numbers... Literally no difference between them from a data perspective. 
DoriSNG_0-1678698696866.png

Any ideas why one returns blank but the other doesn't? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DoriSNG
Frequent Visitor

It looks as though this was a fluke with PBI, I re-uploaded the source dataset (this was a report using a shared dataset) and refreshed the report and the formula is now correctly finding the right value. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DoriSNG
Frequent Visitor

It looks as though this was a fluke with PBI, I re-uploaded the source dataset (this was a report using a shared dataset) and refreshed the report and the formula is now correctly finding the right value. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DoriSNG , I thin case it will return

'Calendar by Calendar Date'[Financial Relative Period],

You can create a new column like

New columm=

convert( Countx(filter('Calendar by Calendar Date','Calendar by Calendar Date'[Calendar Date]=TODAY()-1), 'Calendar by Calendar Date'[Financial Relative Period]) , boolean)

Hi Amit, 

Apologies not sure I understand your suggestion. I don't want an additional field, I've got all the columns I need in my data, I just want to understand why I'm able to look up one field but not another when technically there is no difference between them. 

Thank you 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.