Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Kpaffey
Frequent Visitor

Issue with Publishing PBIX File

I have saved a dashboard to my OneDrive for business and shared with two colleagues in my organisation; one has Power BI Pro and the other has the standard version.  Neither are able to open without downloading - what am I doing wrong please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Kpaffey The Desktop will always just be a download from the OneDrive... In order to share you need to publish to the Service, and share the dashboard. The colleague that has a Pro license will see it, and the colleague that has a free license will not see it because he needs a license.

The Service is for sharing, the Desktop is for creating reports. It will always just be a file.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kpaffey,

In addition, I would suggest you go through the Publishing and Sharing section of the Guided Learning course for Power BI to better understand how to make it work. Smiley Happy

Regards

@Kpaffey The Desktop will always just be a download from the OneDrive... In order to share you need to publish to the Service, and share the dashboard. The colleague that has a Pro license will see it, and the colleague that has a free license will not see it because he needs a license.

The Service is for sharing, the Desktop is for creating reports. It will always just be a file.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes! You need a license for sharing and to view shared reports. 🙃🙃

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.