Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

queryguy48

Is There a Way to Display X- Axis Dates in Vertical Orientation Rather Than Slanted?

Hello,

I created a Power BI report that displays a line graph of data for a date range of the last 24 months.  I show the month name and year at the bottom x-axis.  I had to create a date table to get PBI to keep my months separated.

The only annoying thing is the dates on the X-axis display slanted.  This makes it hard for the user to line up the data point on the graph with the month below.  Is there any way to change this to vertical?  I want the data point to line up directly under the month name.  I did some research online and the only suggestions I've found is to drag out the edges of the graph.  I can resize the graph and it makes no difference.  I've tried every option under Format-X-axis and nothing changes it.  Any suggestions?example.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @queryguy48 ,

According to your description, the direction of the x-axis is actually automatically set according to the size of the left and right borders. If the left and right borders are nerdy enough, then the date on the x-axis will automatically be displayed in the vertical direction to fit the size, and if the borders are wide enough, it will be displayed in the horizontal direction.

vhenrykmstf_0-1643868317015.png

vhenrykmstf_1-1643868335345.png

Also, if you are interested you can try a new custom visual object feature that powerbi has come out with that might give you more help.

Using in Power BI | Charticulator

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @queryguy48 ,

According to your description, the direction of the x-axis is actually automatically set according to the size of the left and right borders. If the left and right borders are nerdy enough, then the date on the x-axis will automatically be displayed in the vertical direction to fit the size, and if the borders are wide enough, it will be displayed in the horizontal direction.

vhenrykmstf_0-1643868317015.png

vhenrykmstf_1-1643868335345.png

Also, if you are interested you can try a new custom visual object feature that powerbi has come out with that might give you more help.

Using in Power BI | Charticulator

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

One option would be to build it with the Charticulator Visual. You would have flexiblity for text angle, tick marks, vertical gridlines, etc.

(15) Austin Power BI User Group - Charticulator 101 - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.