Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

airwolf39
Helper V
Helper V

Incremental refresh question - how to capture historical data?

Hi folks,

I have a huge table with data over the past 5 years. It takes way to long to update power bi desktop every time i want to make a change. I did some research and i think incremental refresh can help me. Here is what im trying to do:

Only have the last 6 months show up in power bi desktop when i hit the 'refresh' button. That way i can see how my measures impact the data. (I used RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters to accomplish this and used these to filter the dates of the table).

So Power BI desktop now only has 6 months of data (yay!) However, I want to show all 5 years in the power bi service when i publish it.

Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Circling back around to this. I recently publish an article in the Blog section for a solution I came up with to help in this scenario. It's a long read but it's been awesome for breaking up large tables into partial direct query and in-mem while also keeping it functioning like it's one table. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Partitioning-of-Aggregate-tables-into-partial-Direct...

airwolf39
Helper V
Helper V

My 'Parameters' is greyed out. So i cant do what you are suggesting. Why is that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use a power query parameter to limit your date range locally, which it sounds like you already are. After you publish the report you can update the parameter in the cloud to pull in the full dataset. 

parametersettings.png

I'm actually getting ready to publish an article to the blog on a more advanced use case and solution regarding this issue. I'll post a link here as soon as it's published 

My parameter pane is greyed out for both the pro and premium service. Is this a 'cloud only' thing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.