Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vmakhija
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Incremental refresh - Need details related to "Detect data changes"

Hello

In the article below 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh#detect-data-changes

under detect data changes, we have following in the Tips section -

Persist only the maximum value of this column at time of refresh, perhaps using a Power Query function.

Can someone tell me what this exactly mean and how this is implemented using power query?

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same question. What does this exact statement mean: "Persist only the maximum value of this column at time of refresh, perhaps using a Power Query function."?

I assumed it meant to create another table that pulled the max value in a column and use that as the "Detect Data Changes" column, but I can't use another table so that didn't work.

This tip is found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vmakhija ,

As pointed in above link, the Detect data changes checkbox specify a date/time column, only when the maximum value (lastest date) of this date/time column is changed, for example, latest date changes from 2019/3/28 to 2019/3/29, it refreshes dataset. Otherwise, it keeps the original loaded dataset.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have got a query, What happens if I have a excel file which stores Jan data and I loaded the file and set up incremental refresh, Now the file is overwritten with Feb data. so there is no Jan data in the file. Will Power BI keep the JAN data or will it also overwrite with feb data? I need to keep the old data and load only feb data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.