Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

briguin
Helper I
Helper I

Incremental Refresh - Can you change parameters and repull data

briguin_0-1630591156113.png

I created a dashboard with an incremental refresh and have published it to the service.

My data query contains the parameters SQLStart_Dt and SQLStart_End independent of the RangeStart (8/1/2020) and RangeEnd (1/1/2025) 

I set the desktop parameters SQLStart_Dt = 8/1/2020 and SQLStart_End = 8/3/2020, refresh locally and Publish the model.

During the 1st refresh on the service, I change the model to equal 8/1/2020 to 9/1/2020.

It refreshes and I see data for 8/1/2020 to 8/31/2020.

If I do a second refresh on the service but now change the parameters 8/1/2020 to 10/1/2020. I expected to incrementally get new data from 9/1 to 9/30 but I do not see any new data.

Do I only get one chance to pull the historical timeframe during that initial data pull?

++ My incremental setting is set to only go back 1 month for new data. Since my timeframe is only 10/1 which is > 1 month in the past is that stopping any new data from retrieving?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
briguin
Helper I
Helper I

I wanted to do 2 or 3 partial data refreshes to slowly build up a historical dataset, slowly increasing the rangestart and rangeend until the full dataset had been pulled.

After testing and doing, I realized that the RangeStart and RangeEnd were finalized in the initial upload to the service. Once they were set and published they could not be changed. No matter how my other date parameters changed the newest incoming incremental data would only be in the time horizon established in the Incremental settings of how many days to go back.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
briguin
Helper I
Helper I

I wanted to do 2 or 3 partial data refreshes to slowly build up a historical dataset, slowly increasing the rangestart and rangeend until the full dataset had been pulled.

After testing and doing, I realized that the RangeStart and RangeEnd were finalized in the initial upload to the service. Once they were set and published they could not be changed. No matter how my other date parameters changed the newest incoming incremental data would only be in the time horizon established in the Incremental settings of how many days to go back.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You must use RangeStart and RangeEnd in your Power Query code. Your other parameters will be ignored.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.