Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

admin11
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

In what situation can cause PBI refresh error ?

Hi All

I have make below post few day ago @amitchandak  have reponse to my post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Suddenly-today-i-am-unable-to-refresh-my-data/td-p/2364704

I like to confirm belowing :-

1) I get refresh error after i load one more new table from sharepoint.
2) if it is due to point (1) issue , why when i load PBI file i created during last month ,now i also get refresh error ?
3) If i change the location refresh , meaning i refresh at office and home , will i get error msg ?

What other issue can cause the refresh error ?

I have experience in the past when i transfer my PBI file to another PC , i am will get refresh error , so i need to go to data source , edit premission. it work fine.

May i know my above issue , it is also cause by edit premission issue ?

Paul Yeo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @admin11 

It can be for many reasons but I come across a lot of issues being cause by the following:

1. The data source file(s) location has changed (e.g. someone changed a folder name). 
  2. The data source file(s) has been moved (e.g. someone moved one of the source files).
  3. The data source file name has been changed (e.g. someone changed the name of the file).
  4. The data source file(s) has changed format (e.g. someone has used CSV instead of XLSX).

Other considerations include permissions may have changed and more infrequent issues in my experience.

All the best.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @admin11 

It can be for many reasons but I come across a lot of issues being cause by the following:

1. The data source file(s) location has changed (e.g. someone changed a folder name). 
  2. The data source file(s) has been moved (e.g. someone moved one of the source files).
  3. The data source file name has been changed (e.g. someone changed the name of the file).
  4. The data source file(s) has changed format (e.g. someone has used CSV instead of XLSX).

Other considerations include permissions may have changed and more infrequent issues in my experience.

All the best.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

admin11
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@TheoC 

Thank you very much for your reply. i accident click problem solve.

I believe may be due to accidently i have remove one of the file from sharepoint. 

So can i say PBI will not give us error msg indicate which file or folder from sharepoint have remove or rename ? i mean it there any way i can find out ? now i am stuck since i am unable to refresh.

Paul

@admin11 the if you go into your PBIX file and hit refresh (or in Power BI Service), when you hit refresh, the error should tell you which file is missing.  I recommend doing it in Power BI Desktop and saving a version of your Power BI Desktop (PBIX file) before refreshing.  This way, you don't refresh the Power BI Service report and lose it.  If you do it in Power BI Desktop under a new saved file, you minimise the risk of further and unnecessary damage (hope that makes sense).

Theo 🙂

admin11
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@TheoC 

Thank you again for your support. 

I have try to refresh , the error msg came out :-

admin11_0-1646120020863.png

When i try to scroll down to below :-

admin11_1-1646120080368.png

It is mean that the last row is having problem ? Does it mean that i should delete away the _Pnl_Var , and refresh again , if error again , i should delete 2nd last row table INVC_I right , till no more error right ?

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.