Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

RashmitaR
Helper IV
Helper IV

In line hierarchy levels for drill down in power bi desktop

Hi,  

If I have created a  bar chart using contry,Product,Year , and if I choose the see records options i get to see certain columns in the table which i have not used in the chart.Kindly help me with understanding how is Power Bi selecting Discount band,Month name and Segment column by itself in the table.Please find below snaps for your refernce.

Thank you,

Rashmita Reddy.

pic 1.pngpic 2.jpgpic3.jpg

pic 4.png 

8 REPLIES 8
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@RashmitaR, there are no public official documents show the details how the "See Records" feature picks up columns. Looks like@ankitpatira is correct that: "See Records" shows all text columns. I'm checking it with our engineers, will response back once I get any updates.

If some unwanted columns are included or wanted columns are missing, you can include or exclude some columns in the Values pane in Visualization. Then, you will get columns exactly what you want when you export data.

P2.png

Hi @Vicky_Song! Do u have any updates regarding this? Thx!

From Brazil? Go to IntelExcel YT channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Intelxcel to learn Power BI.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@RashmitaR Just tested out with one of the report I had in powerbi desktop. Seems like it is picking up all the text based fields when you see click records. I would use Send a Frown option to submit the issue to microsoft. I can certainly replicate your issue.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@RashmitaR Do you have those extra fields in drill down ? If yes then when you click see records it will show you those fields even though you have not acually drilled down.

@ankitpatira If you can see the above screenshots I have used only Country, Product and Year columns in the chart.My concern is How could Power BI automaticaty take Discount band,Month name and segment.Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thank you.

@RashmitaR What i meant is have you used Discount Band, month name and segment in drill down? That is where you've specified fields for axis have you also dropped these fields ? See below image. In this case if I select see records i will see records for both Gender and Locality fields.

Capture.PNG

@ankitpatira No I have only used Product ,Country and Year in axis and values.If you need I can send u the file so that you can check from your end.

pic5.png

@RashmitaR yeah sure if you can, attach PBix file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.