Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing small slices of a dimensional model

Hi, this might be a dumb question, but I haven't figured out how to do something that should be pretty easy in Power BI desktop. Let's say I'm connecting to a star schema database, and it contains the following:

Dim Department

Dim Date

Dim Person

Fact Sales

What I would like to be able to do is import the tables into Power BI desktop, but only pick a single department and/or a small number of departments. Based on this, I also want Fact Sales to be filtered on only the rows that are in that department, and I want Dim Person to likewise only contain the rows that match to the corresponding Fact Sales.

This is a made up example, but we have fact tables that contain billions of rows, and I need to filter those down before the come in to Power BI.

And one additional requirement - I do NOT want to have to write SQL to do this. I'm perfectly comfortable doing so...but many of our end users throughout the org aren't - nor should they be required to do this.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks,

Scott

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may try the connect live mode.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sam,

not really wanting to do live connections, as the performance may be quite poor...I really am looking at importing the data. At some point in the future we may stand up SSAS tabular, at which point live connections vs. querying should be feasible...but for right now I'm really quite surprised that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to import just a slice of a basic star schema model.

Thanks,

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.