Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Blues88
Helper I
Helper I

Image URL working sporadically

Hello,

I built a report that includes a table visual containing location, serial number, and photo type of a set of assets and then the "Simple Image" visual that I downloaded in the "Get more visuals" section that contains image urls for each corresponding asset in the table visual. The images live in SharePoint folders. The dataset in BI lives in a single table with each asset having its own row with the location, serial number, photo type, and image url. There are no other tables to create relationships to.

These are the steps I followed:

Step 1: In Power Query, I created a custom column by combining the folder path and the file name to create a link to the image that I named "Image URL".

Blues88_6-1650634049404.png

Here's an example of the link I get as a result.

Blues88_5-1650634011007.png

I spot-checked several of the links in Chrome and Edge and the images appear immediately, so the links are working properly.

Step 2: I changed the Data category for the field to "Image URL".

Blues88_2-1650633640060.png

Step 3: I dragged the field "Image URL" onto the "Simple Image" visual.

Blues88_4-1650633664904.png

Step 4: I saved and published the dashboard to my workspace.

When accessing the dashboard from the workspace, sometimes the photos appear and sometimes they don't. I don't know what causes either result. I've tried using different browsers and refreshing the dataset to no avail. It didn't work yesterday morning so I refreshed it in the desktop app and republished. It started working again. I thought it might need a refresh triggered so I set up a scheduled refresh in the morning. This morning the refresh was successful, but the images are not showing up when I opened the published report. I also tried to manually refresh from the desktop app and it still isn't working.

Does anyone have insight into what may be causing this to work sporadically? Is there a better method of achieving my goal (to click on an asset in a table visual and populate the corresponding image from SharePoint in an image visual)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Blues88 

Is it related to your current network environment?

If the problem persists, it is recommended to create a support ticket to let MS engineers look into the issue on your side. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The Power BI service may occasionally have issues to authenticate with your sharepoint folder location. 

Consider alternatives.  https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/05/19/storing-large-images-in-power-bi-datasets/ 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.