Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YOV
Helper II
Helper II

Identify connection type in measure

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to identify connection type (Live, Direct Query, Import) via measure or variable?

I want to measure/variable to display different things on canvas based on connectino type.

For example, if connection is live measure will say "Live connection" or display some pic, if import then something else.

We have dozens of reports and was to easily distinguish between their connection type, especially when using workspace or app.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YOV ,

I'm afraid dax cannot achieve it currently. Connection type can only be seen in the right corner of power bi desktop. It is a property of the report itself and not as a value in the report.

connectiion.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-yingjl .

Maybe there is something to identify connection string source?

If I could get a measure to somehow recognize the source that would be great.

For example if source begins with "asazure" I can assume it's live connection to Analysis Services, if something else than import.

That's the only two connections we use at my company.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YOV ,

I'm afraid not. Perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to help us improve power bi, vote for it and make this feature coming sooner: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.