Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Deeintu
Helper I
Helper I

How to wirte DAX function to filter data from SSAS for import connection to limit data in Power BI

Hello All,

I'm new to Power BI.

I'm trying to import data from SQL server Analysis Services database. Count of records in this model is around 5 million records, how can I get only 200k records by applying filter during import.

Requirement for me is to join two models and produce the output for building a report at the end.

Model 1 has : 200k records

Model 2  has : 25K records

Option1: when I choose (Model 1) with  ConnectLive: it doesn't allow me to join  with the Model 2 because all options are greyed out because of this connection.

Option 2: when I choose (Model 1) with Import: It will alllow me to join with other Model because of this connection but it brings all the data from the datamodel. How can i bring only 200k records instead of 5 millions and later it will be joined with the Model 2.

I'm trying below DAX formula, but getting ony Table2 data from Model 1 and not bringing other tables (Table1 and Table3) in that Model 1 for my analysis

Deeintu_3-1641546685390.png

Lets say Model 1 has Table1, Table2, Table3, Table4

But I need to bring only  Table1, Table2 (by adding below filter condtion to bring only 200k records) and table3 .

Filter condition will be something like this but unable to write in DAX:

'Table2', [State]="NSW"  OR [City] in ("Sydney", "Melbourne", "Brisbane")

Expected Output  for Model1 should be:

Table1, only 2 columns required from this table

Table2, all columns with filter condition,

Table3, all coumns

Please let me know how can I achive this?

Thanks in advance

Dee

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Deeintu , In Dax we have select columns , summarize, etc to cut now a number of columns we are bringing in

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/selectcolumns-function-dax

selectcolumns, filter should do as it can take dax. But you have add every table like a new connection

another option is power query parameters

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-query-parameters

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.