Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lm_i
Helper II
Helper II

How to use dax expression, functions or formula to find the sum of a DISTINCTCOUNT (rows w/ text)?

Hi,

I am pretty new to Power BI so I will use my work to explain.

I found the distinct count of customers who purchased specific products. Measure: No. Sold In = DISTINCTCOUNT(Table Name[CustomerNames]).

I now need to find the *Total No. of Customers who made purchases. I assumed SUM(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table Name[CustomerNames])) would work but of course it didn't among several other options.

See pic below (actual products blocked out).

Coverage % = No. Sold In (mentioned above) / *Total No. Distinct Customers (circled in red in pic and mentioned above)

I used the actual no. of distinct customers in Coverage % calculation (seen in pic) to show why the sum of the distinct count is necessary.

A generalized DAX expression or formula is necessary as the aactual value will vary from month to month and these values will also be filtered per month.

InkedInkedpowerbi_LI.jpg

Any assistance will be appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@lm_i 

You can use your customer count measure and apply a filter to only count customers that are in your sales table.  It will be something like this.

Customers with Sales = CALCULATE ( [No. Sold In], YourSalesTable )

Hi @jdbuchanan71,

Firstly, thank you for your response!

Your measure yields the correct total however, when done on a row by row level for each product in the visual,

No. Sold In = Customers with Sales hence eg. Coverage = 74/74 = 1 = 100%

@lm_i 

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought you were wanting to go the other way.  You can write your measure to calculate the total customers for all sales over the product specific like so.

Coverage % = 
VAR _All = CALCULATE( [No. Sold In], ALL ( Sales ) )
RETURN 
    DIVIDE( [No. Sold In], _All )

jdbuchanan71_0-1595368415796.png

Hi @jdbuchanan71 ,

This measure works!

Thank you for taking the time to recreate the table and insert visuals.

Your assistance is very much appreciated!!!

Hi @lm_i

Glad to hear that your issue has been solved,could you pls mark the reply as answered to close it?

Much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft ,

I have been trying to mark as the solution, however it keeps saying authentication has failed.

Hi @lm_i ,

Refresh your page then enter your user name and password.🙂

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @v-kelly-msft,

I am still not able to mark the solution. I received the same error message several times.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.