Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to send a report as PDF attachment for each individual user

Hi,

Below here the report - a simple Table visual

ProductIDProductProduct_Owner_Email
P01Heavy MetalsP01@XYZ.COM
P02RefrigerationP02@XYZ.COM
P03TextileP03@XYZ.COM

I need to send this report (as PDF aatachment through email) based on the emails (Product_Owner_Email). Each Product Owner should get/see the report for there only...like an example if we take Product Ower - P01@XYZ.COM  then he should get only first row as report attachment not the all three rows.

Appreciate your help!

4 REPLIES 4
mh2587
Super User
Super User

Try to subscribe to email and do the logic with USERPRINCIPALNAME() to get current user login and match it with product owner emails 

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

If you use a datamodel stored in a Power BI report (= a report built with Power BI Desktop), then you have to publish that  report to be able to automate PDF creation.  So you need at least 1 license.

I see those options
1. Use Power BI Robots or another 3rd party tool. You can use a service user to connect to the Power BI Service. Robots lets you automatically send emails and set specific filters to individual recepients
2. Use Excel to connect to your report and create your report in Excel. Use some sort of script automation to filter data,  generate and send the PDFs.
3. Use Power Automate. I'm not an expert there so I can't assist further.

I'm curious if the community comes up with different approaches.
JJ

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi 

You can use Row Level Security to make sure that a Product Owner only can see her products. See: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-rls 

Users can setup subscriptions to to receive the report in a scheduled interval. See: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/end-user-subscribe?tabs=creator  

You need Power BI Premium oder Premium Per User for PDF export in subscriptions. Otherwise users will receive a link to the report.

If you don't have Premium and need PDF export you can use third party tools. We use Power BI robots: https://powerbitiles.com/PowerBIRobots/ 

Hope I could help
JJ

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DoubleJ , Thanks for your repsonse - 

RLS will work when end user can use Power BI, but here they need just a snap of the report with there data only.

I forgot to mention the end users whose emails mentioned on the report they NEED just an email with there data/report not the whole report(not the entire row). and these users don't have Power BI - So they just need the PDF as attachment and to see what Product is assigned to them, JUST.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.